Saturday, September 15, 2012

Amerigo 'Tis Of Thee

Did I say *last time* that the land in the parallel world I'm more and more finding myself in, is called Amerigo? If I didn't, I do apologise, for, yes, it's called Amerigo, as Amerigons (the people of Amerigo) write and say it in Amerigon, the language of Amerigons, a language so like English I can read and understand it.

While I can't yet speak Amerigon, Amerigons can understand the English I speak to them in. Some do remark, though, that I sound sort of funny. But then, Amerigons sound sort of funny to me. And I just know they would sound sort of funny to you too were you to hear them.

Amerigo is a vast land with many hundreds of millions of people. Economically and militarily it is the most powerful land in this entire parallel world, which Amerigons refer to as Osianna.

Despite living in the most powerful and rich land in all of Osianna, Amerigons are today not generally a happy people. A steadily growing number are becoming poor, while those few who are rich are becoming richer still.

It wasn't always like this. A mere three or four decades ago most Amerigons belonged to their middle-class, with all its benefits and comforts. However, some Amerigons (most of them the minority *”Greens”*), were poor, and some (most of them the majority ”Greys”), were rich. However, rich Amerigons then were much less rich compared to middle-class Amerigons and poor Amerigons, than they are today.

The gap between rich and non-rich Amerigons is increasing and shows no signs of abating, which is mostly why non-rich Amerigons are unhappy. The well-paying jobs, that there were so many of in the days when most Amerigons were happy, are fast disappearing, as even are the non-well-paying jobs. Hence if an Amerigon does have a job, it's likely an ill-paying one with longer and longer hours, and a job he can lose anytime.

Something else that's making Amerigons unhappy is that lots of green people who live in other lands throughout Osianna, are coming to Amerigo to live. As bad as things now are in Amerigo, they are much worse in these other lands. So many Greens are now coming to Amerigo, they'll soon outnumber the Greys, who don't like this one bit. They consider, for one thing, that these swarms of Greens are taking away the jobs that Greys want. If only they (the Greens) could be shipped back to where they came from, sigh the Greys, all would be like it once was in Amerigo, when everyone spoke Amerigon, when everyone had a good job, when everyone was happy.

This forms some of the backdrop to an election due to happen soon in Amerigo, when Amerigons will choose their next president. Will they re-choose the current president, Bernhardt Ohama, or will they opt for the challenger, Vitt Roomey? Each has very different ideas on where he would take Amerigons.

Because what happens in Amerigo affects all of Osianna, due to Amerigo's far flung power, all of Osianna's peoples are following the twists and turns of this election campaign, which, in its vituperation and disdain for the truth, resembles election campaigns here in our own world.

So caught up am I in this election campaign, I eagerly await each return to the parallel world of Osianna and the land of Amerigo. Since I've no control on my movements back and forth, I never know if any visit to Osianna will be my last. As of now, I'm going there almost daily and nightly. I can only hope this'll continue......well.......at least until the election.

Whether or not I'm granted another visit, I do have more to add to what I've talked of today. I'll do so in the next posting.

No comments:

Post a Comment