Friday, July 27, 2012

Ten Favourite Songs

The writer of a blog I sometimes visit had read a book by a psychologist that said the stuff you have in your house, and the stuff you have in your garbage bin, and the clothes you wear, and the songs you like, say everything about you.

So she (the blogger) made a list of the ten songs she likes best, and invited her readers to list their ten best songs in the “comments” section. I accordingly did this.

While I found it extremely difficult to decide on the ten songs I like best, I decided to list the ten songs that are among my favourites: Here they are, and in no particular order:

- *Windmills of Your Mind* – Dusty Springfield

- *It Was A Very Good Year* – Frank Sinatra

- *Morning Has Broken* – Cat Stevens

- *Solitaire* – Neil Sedaka

- *Long, Long Time* – Linda Ronstadt

- *Cat's In The Cradle* – Harry Chapin

- *Scarboro Fair* – Simon and Garfunkel

- *Old Man* – Neil Young

- *Good Time Charlie's Got the Blues* – Danny O'Keefe

- *Night Fever* – Bee Gees

Since, according the psychologist, the songs we like say a lot about us, what does my liking these songs say about me? I don't know. Or maybe I do, but would rather not talk about it. But I notice that most came out in the 1970s, which is odd, since I'm of the generation that thought the songs of the 1960s were the be all and end all of all that was good in popular music.

While three songs in my list (It Was a Very Good Year, Windmills of Your Mind, and Scarboro Fair) did come out in the 'sixties, only one (Scarboro Fair) was a stereotypical 'sixties song.

Because I consider that the songs of the 'seventies were better than those of the 'sixties, this is no doubt why no Beatles songs made it into my list. Not that the Beatles didn't come out with good songs and deep songs, for they did come out with many. Somehow, though, none of the Beatles' songs spoke to me as did the songs in my list, which speak to me now as much as they did then, those forty-or-so years ago.

Were I to make another list of ten other songs I like, I might well put some Beatles' songs in there, as well as some Kinks songs, and maybe some Elvis songs too.

In my list, one song (Night Fever) seems not quite to fit, for it is of the disco genre, and therefore frivolous compared to the others. But I had a weakness for the disco songs. They were a welcome break from the heaviness of the 'sixties and early 'seventies. Besides, I always particularly liked the Bee Gees.

4 comments:

  1. Not sure what I would put on a list of 10, but it was fun reading yours.

    Your inclusion of Night Fever (and difficulty narrowing the list to just 10 songs) reminded me of a few lines from a Czeslaw Milosz poem:

    The purpose of poetry is to remind us
    how difficult it is to remain just one person...

    ReplyDelete
  2. "....The purpose of poetry is to remind us
    how difficult it is to remain just one person..."


    Are we not any of us, with our almost hourly swings of mood alone, several people?

    Is not the difference between any of us and a Schizophrenic, merely one of degree?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Christopher!

    I stopped by to share this with the only person I "know" who has a passion for cricket:
    http://www.economist.com/blogs/prospero/2012/08/qa-timeri-murari

    But looking at your last comment, I'm reminded the Salvador Dali said, "The only difference between me and madman is that I am not mad."

    Me either. Most of the time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this link.

    When first I learned that Afghanistan had a cricket team that plays international matches, I wasn't all that surprised, for I assumed that cricket there would have been a legacy of British rule (19th century, that is).

    However, according to Wiki, although cricket was first played in Afghanistan in 1839 (by British troops), cricket didn't take hold there until the 1990s, due to osmosis from next-door neighbour, Pakistan, where cricket is wildly popular and whose cricketers are among the world's best.

    With another Great Power now omnipresent in Afghanistan, will the sport that is wildly popular among this Great Power's denizens, baseball, now take its place alongside cricket (or even replace it) in the hearts of Afghans?

    ReplyDelete