Saturday, July 21, 2012

More on Education

Here's another comment I left on the blog posting on a blog I read often, that I wrote of last time (July 11, 2012):
Based on the comments so far, the quality of taxpayer-funded education, once excellent, would seem to have gone downhill, continues to go downhill, and will go yet further in this unhappy direction unless Something Is Done.

While it might be nice to have taxpayer-funded education that’s once again excellent, the question I ask is: excellent for what?

I suggest (and most humbly so) that there’s no longer a need for excellent taxpayer-funded education because there are no longer the jobs for excellently-educated young people to go to. Consider how it was in the 1950s and 1960s in America. There were jobs galore then, that needed educated brains, most of which had to be American-educated.

Today, on the other hand, most jobs needing educated brains have been moved overseas. Those still remaining in America can be done by brains imported already-educated.

This state of affairs isn’t because those who run corporate America - the ones who have moved these jobs overseas - are any more wicked now than they were in the 1950s and 1960s. It’s just that the technology has changed. While the American-educated brain was once the best means for corporate America’s profits, the foreign-educated brain is now the best means.

As for corporate America, the point has been made by certain knowledgeable people, that most of the big corporations are no longer really “American”. Rather, they’re global networks that design, make, buy, and sell things in wherever in the world it’s most profitable.

Hence corporate America no longer has any loyalty to America. It just needs lower taxes, fewer regulations, and less public spending, which would include less spending on education.

Since what corporate America (or corporate anywhere, for that matter) wants, it usually gets, taxpayer-funded education will likely continue in its present unhappy direction.

5 comments:

  1. Come on, Christopher, take it easy with the cynicism.

    Tell me what you're reading lately instead. I'm thinking of picking up Geoff Dyer. Know him? Suggestions? Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whaddaya mean "take it easy with the cynicism"? I'm serious.

    But, what you say has made me realise that I'm perhaps being overly influenced by the likes of Paul Krugman and Robert Reich.

    So from now on I'll pay more attention to the guys at the National Review and Weekly Standard, and not to forget Rush Limbaugh.

    I promise!!

    No, I've never read Geoff Dyer. But he does sound interesting.

    I'm currently reading "The Genius" by Theodore Dreiser. I won't recommend it, though, for I feel that Dreiser wouldn't be your cup of tea.

    But then, you may already have read him, if only because he set many of his novels in fin de siecle Chicago and thereabouts.

    You haven't posted on your own site in a while. I'm getting impatient.

    Now, what's the National Review's website address.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see. You point out that my problem isn't cynicism, it's chagrin at the reality you describe. That's probably true.

    I haven't read Dreiser in years. You're probably right that it's not for current me. On the other hand, Dyer has written a book called Yoga For People Who Can't Be Bothered To Do It. And that sounds funny. Plus, he's just written about Tarkovsky's Stalker, and that appeals to my inner Slav.

    Thanks for your expression of interest in my blogifying. Thoughtful.

    Cheers, Christopher!

    ReplyDelete
  4. While I haven't read Geoff Dyer, I have read Wayne Dyer.

    But, as with Theodore Dreiser, I won't recommend Wayne Dyer to you, for I feel he wouldn't be your cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to google Wayne Dyer. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete