Saturday, May 26, 2012

Impérialisme Culturel?

Today's posting continues where yesterday's left off. I had said, among other things, that baseball (which the other blogger called "the national pastime") had been exported successfully to other lands. I followed this up by saying in another comment:
Although le base-ball (le passe-temps national américain) has successfully been exported to other lands - Japan, Cuba, Dominican Republic - they aren't nearly as many as the lands that le cricket (le passe-temps national anglais) has been successfully exported to - India, Pakistan, Sri-Lanka, Barbados, Jamaica, Trinidad, Guyana, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Australia, New Zealand, and pretty much all the other countries of the old Empire, on which the sun used never to set.

Il n'est pas surprenant que, after "futbol", le cricket is the most-followed game in the world.

Since the lands that le base-ball and le cricket were successfully exported to, are lands once occupied and ruled by the lands where le base-ball and le cricket first came from, can one conclude that le base-ball and le cricket are expressions of l'impérialisme culturel?
Au sujet de l'impérialisme culturel, did you know that Shakespeare's plays may be yet *another form of it?*

6 comments:

  1. Boy, do I hate the way the author of the Guardian piece writes, beginning with the lazy first sentence whose only content is self-congratulation: "Recently I went to the theatre, as I am wont to do."

    Yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your sentiments about the opening sentence. I agree also with author's sentiments in the piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, but, Christopher, if there is a Moliere theatre extravaganza in Paris, and my husband's company is invited to bring a production of The Misanthrope, I will be delighted. I will not view it as cultural imperialism and wonder why we can't bring an American play.

    This event is about Shakespeare. What's wrong with that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You mightn't regard a play by Moliere as cultural imperialisim because you probably didn't, when in high-school, have him forced down your throat as Shakespeare may have been.

    Shakespeare is still forced down the throats of English-speaking students all over the world because this is the cultural legacy of the world-wide English-speaking British Empire, of which the world-wide English-speaking American Empire is the successor.

    Culture (which includes religion) always follows the flag, does it not?

    I put it to you that, had France's colonial empire been as large as Britain's, and Britain's colonial empire been as small as France's, students everywhere today would have Moliere forced down their throats instead of Shakespeare.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a huge fan of Moliere, so I wouldn't object.

    I think we're going to disagree about this. A lot about the English-speaking world delights not me, but Shakespeare is something else. Maybe he even redeems us. Maybe.

    It's OK. I'm with you on the samba. It is just terrific, torto ou não.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being a product of British cultural imperialism, and so having had Shakespeare forced down my throat to the exclusion of all other playwrights, I never got to read any Moliere.

    However, when you talked about The Misanthrope I checked Google and found the text. I read some of it, and, by Golly, I took to it immediately.

    Now, if Moliere had been forced down my throat instead of Shakespeare, I would have been much the better for it.

    Despite that Shakespeare has always left me cold, I respect that nearly everyone loves him, or they say they do. So, if you love Shakespeare, well, what can I say?!!

    Glad you like the samba too.

    ReplyDelete