Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Inchworm

The Guardian (UK) yesterday had a short piece on an about-to-be released collection of songs, "Kisses On the Bottom", sung by Paul McCartney. But, these are not the sorts of songs that Paul McCartney normally sings, for they are the sorts of songs that Paul's mum and dad probably listened to when young.

"I'm Gonna Sit Right Down and Write Myself a Letter", "It's Only a Paper Moon", "Always", "Bye Bye Blackbird", "The Glory of Love", "My Echo, My Shadow, And Me" and "Always", are among the songs in this collection, and which Paul's mum and dad would have listened to when young.

However, there are other songs that Paul himself may have listened to when very young in the days before Rock 'n Roll - songs like "Accentuate the Positive", and "Inchworm". There are also two songs which Paul wrote in the style of the songs his mum and dad listened to - "My Valentine" and "Only Our Hearts".

Why don't you yourself now listen to all of "Kisses On the Bottom". You can do so if you click on the appropriate place at the foot of *The Guardian's piece* .

Who would have thought forty five years ago that Paul McCartney would one day sing these sorts of songs. He's no doubt singing them now, because he's in the evening of his life. Musically he has, to paraphrase TS Eliot, arrived where he started, and knows the place for the first time. He would now see that these songs are beautiful in their own way, and evoke a time so different from today.

Being, myself , only a year or so younger than Paul, I can remember when very young, in the time before Rock 'n Roll, listening on the "wireless" to Perry Como singing "Accentuate the Positive", and to Danny Kaye singing "Inchworm". In fact I can still remember Kaye singing "Inchworm" in the film "Hans Christian Andersen" when my own mum and dad took me to see it.

Although Paul gives a nice interpretation of "Inchworm", I think I still prefer Danny Kaye's.

No comments:

Post a Comment