Friday, December 23, 2011

What Did TS Eliot Mean?

In TS Eliot's poem, "Little Gidding", are the lines:
The end of our exploring,
Will be to go back to where we started,
And know the place for the first time
What exactly did TS Eliot mean by the "place" from where we start, and go back to after we've done all that exploring?

I think the “place” where I started, was a “place” where I knew nothing, but didn’t know it.

You see, there was a time when I thought I knew a lot, and thought I had those deep existential questions that have puzzled people since time unrecorded, figured out. But the more I learned, and the more I thought, the less I realised I actually knew. Now, I realise I know nothing for sure, and have doubt about everything.

So I’m back at the “place” where I started, the “place” where I knew nothing. While I still know nothing (or at least nothing for sure) I now know I know nothing.

I mean, I don't even know I exist. You may find this strange, dear reader. If you're normal, you take for granted that you exist. But, what if you are only in a dream? Have you never had a dream that felt so real that you were very surprised when you woke up and found you'd been dreaming?

So, how do you know that the life you are living and assume is real because it feels real, isn't merely a dream you're having?

Or perhaps you are merely a character in someone else's dream..............?

No comments:

Post a Comment